This ultra rich creamy vegan eggnog recipe is done in only 5 minutes! It's easy to make, uses 8 simple ingredients and is perfect for the holidays.
This is the best homemade eggnog recipe around, you'll be shocked that it's dairy free. Add some rum for an adult treat, or serve it as is for a family friendly version.
This post was originally published on November 17, 2020.
While you can easily buy a carton of eggnog, there is nothing better than homemade versions of store bought items. I especially love this vegan eggnog paired with my gluten free snickerdoodle cookies on Christmas!
It's so great to be able to make your own version of traditional eggnog, it's totally customizable that way. You can add or take away different flavors to fit your taste, plus it's generally healthier too!
In order to make your own dairy-free eggnog you'll need the following:
- Lite coconut milk - classic nog uses heavy cream, but for those wanting dairy free canned lite coconut milk is the best option. Oat milk and almond milk won't give you as much of a thick or creamy texture, but they will work too.
- Raw cashews - These add to the thickness and richness. If you are not using a high speed blender you will need to prepare the cashews in one of three ways.
- Soak overnight then drain away the water.
- Boil for 30 minutes then drain.
- Or, grind the dry cashews into a fine powder using a coffee grinder (do not soak them for this method).
- Maple syrup - this adds a wonderful sweetness and flavor to this drink, you can use more or less to suit your taste.
- Seasonings - a blend of vanilla, cinnamon, ground nutmeg, cloves, and sea salt create the classic eggnog taste you know and love.
- I like my eggnog with extra flavors and spices which is how this recipe for vegan eggnog was tested and written.
- Reduce the spices for a more mild flavor. You can also omit any spices you don't care for, another benefit of making your own homemade eggnog!
How To Make Vegan Eggnog
It takes less time to make this homemade eggnog than it does to run to the store for a carton!
- Blend everything.
What to Serve With Eggnog
This homemade vegan eggnog recipe is delicious all on its own, but feel free to dress it up with any of these ideas:
- Top with Dairy Free Whipped Cream
- Drizzle on some Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Keep it alcohol-free, or mix in some bourbon, rum, or brandy for a boozy treat
- Stir the dairy free eggnog into coffee instead of creamer for a vegan eggnog latte!
- Sprinkle extra seasonings on top
Heating and Storage Tips
Eggnog can be served hot or chilled, it comes down to personal preference!
- To warm eggnog, heat in a microwave safe cup for about 1-2 minutes in a microwave.
- You can also heat up vegan eggnog in a saucepan on the stove until you reach your desired temperature. This works well for larger batches.
- To chill and store for later:
- Pour into an airtight container.
- Keep in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Eggnog is a beverage generally made from milk, heavy cream, egg yolks, and spices. It's been traditionally served throughout the holiday season. Since milk, cream, and eggs aren't exactly vegan I had to come up with a great alternative. In my humble opinion, this version is WAY tastier than the original!
Eggnog is thick and creamy, rich, and sweet. It is usually seasoned with a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
Vegan eggnog is made with a base of coconut milk and cashews, sweetened with maple syrup, and flavored with spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
Your local natural grocery store should have some options for you, but it can be hard to find, especially year round! I'm not a fan of the search so I just make my own, it's way easier!
This is a personal preference. I usually like mine chilled, but on those extra cold days it's nice to curl up with a warm cup. See post for heating tips.
Traditionally rum, brandy, or bourbon are added to eggnog for an extra kick. You can also try vodka, coffee liqueur, or even peppermint schnapps!
More Vegan Drink Recipes To Try
If festive beverages are your thing, check out these other plant based recipes as well:
Best Vegan Eggnog Recipe
To serve, optional:
- Dairy Free Whipped Cream
- Brandy or rum
- Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. Put in the fridge to get cold or serve over ice.
- Add brandy or rum for an alcohol treat. Top with whipped cream if desired.
- If you are not using a high speed blender, you can soak the cashews overnight, boil them for 30 minutes or grind the dry cashews into a fine powder using a coffee grinder (do not soak them for this method).
- I like my eggnog with extra flavors and spices, reduce the spices for a more mild flavor.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.