The prefect go to taco for the spice lover in you! These buffalo chickpea tacos are super flavorful, easy to throw together and filled with veggies!
I received a free copy of Vegan Richa's Everyday Kitchen to review, all opinions and text are all mine.
Vegan Richa does it again with her newest cookbook, Vegan Richa's Everyday Kitchen! It's filled with recipes you can go to any time, any day, all easy to make and loaded with flavor. These buffalo chickpea tacos are no exception, ready to devour in 30 minutes!
Who loves tacos?! If you aren't raising your hand, we may not be able to be friends. Tacos are life. They can be filled with anything, YES ANYTHING, and be called dinner. They are a
crazy busy mom's savior. So when Richa (of Vegan Richa) asked me to review her book, and I saw buffalo chickpea tacos, I basically lost all vision for anything but them.
Vegan Richa's Everyday Kitchen
This cookbook is legit. If you know Richa at all, you know her food is out of this world good. As in drool the second you see the photos on Instagram good. So imagine what I felt like when I was going through this book. Grab a bib people. You'll need it.
All of her recipes here are meant for your everyday life, hence the title, duh. They are easily put together, popping with flavor and the variety is amazing! I have a list going of everything I want to shove in my mouth after I consume the buffalo chickpea taco recipe. The list keeps growing, but I'll share a few photos of the deliciousness with you.
Easiest Black Bean Burgers: You aren't getting any complaints from this girl (I DID just release my own cookbook filled with burgers, so you know I'll love this one)!!
Black Pepper Cheesy Mac and Broccoli: Pasta with cheese sauce? Yes please!
Richa's Brownies: If I could pick a dessert to eat from here on out, it would be brownies or cookies. So I'd pretty much take these down on my own.
Buffalo Chickpea Tacos (Vegan Richa’s Everyday Kitchen)
- ⅓ cup hot sauce (80 ml)
- 3 tablespoons sriracha sauce (45 ml)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or melted nondairy butter (30 ml, see notes for oil-free)
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar (optional)
- 2 cups room-temperature cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed , can use up to 2 ½ cups
- 1 recipe Celery Ranch Sauce , divided (recipe follows)
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped celery or cucumber
- 1 teaspoon organic safflower or other neutral oil (see notes for oil-free)
- 1 green bell pepper , medium size (thinly sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper , medium size (thinly sliced)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt , divided
- 8 tortillas or taco shells , can divide into 10 if needed (I used corn)
- 2 cups baby spinach
Celery Ranch Sauce:
- ½ cup raw cashews , soaked for 15 minutes and drained, or ground raw cashews
- ⅔ cup plain unsweetened nondairy milk , or ½ cup (120ml) water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (see notes for oil-free)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder , or 4 cloves roasted garlic
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast , can use up to 2
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar , or distilled white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh chives , or 1 teaspoon dried chives (optional)
Celery Ranch Sauce
- In a blender, combine the cashews, milk, salt, oil, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, vinegar, parsley, thyme, and dill. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Add the chives (if using) and stir gently to combine.
Buffalo Chickpea Tacos
- Combine the hot sauce, sriracha, olive oil, and vinegar (if using) in a medium bowl. Add the chickpeas, tossing to coat them in the sauce, and set aside. In another medium bowl, combine half the celery ranch sauce with the celery. In a third medium bowl, thin the other half of the celery ranch sauce with water if needed.
- Heat the safflower oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Cook the bell peppers until they are golden on some sides, 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Warm the tortillas if desired.
- Add some of the baby spinach, roasted bell peppers, and celery to every taco. Divide the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt between all the tacos. Add some Buffalo chickpeas and a generous drizzle of the celery ranch sauce to each taco and serve.
- I omitted the oil in the sauce and cooked the peppers with broth and the recipe still turned out great. I also cooked the chickpeas a little as well just to get a slight crisp.
- From Vegan Richa’s Everyday Kitchen copyright © 2017 by Richa Hingle. Used by permission Vegan Heritage Press.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.
Nutrition and metric information should be considered an estimate.
Sorry, I think I may be missing something. You don't bake or pan-fry the chickpeas once you've added the spices? The texture in your pictures doesn't look like something you'd get from just boiling them.
Hi Emily! This is a recipe from Vegan Richa's cookbook. She does not cook them but I added them to the pan and browned them a bit. Just personal preference. I have also baked them crispy as well. Anything works!
Hi I am about to make this recipe but am a bit daunted by the 1/3 cup of hot sauce as hot sauces come in many tastes and heat levels. What have people used here?
Hi Cheryl! Not sure if you made this yes, but I would start with a tablespoon and keep adding to get the flavor you like. It definitely depends on the hot sauce!
Love Vegan Richa, this book looks amazing!
The Vegan 8
I don't know how I missed this post but you did a beautiful job! These tacos look so good and I really need to find some time away from creating myself to make these because you know how much I love Richa's recipes and these look so darn delicious and full of flavor! I agree with you, haha, definitely need a bib! I also love the variety in her book. everything has my mouth watering! Love your blue dish, really makes the tacos pop!
Awe thanks friend!! Yes, Richa makes the most delicious food! The book is beautiful and so well done!
This recipe is amazing and the best for healthy lightweight dinner.
Hi Alena! Yes, it's perfect for a healthy light dinner! Thanks so much for being here!
This looks delicious! I’m going to make this recipe this week and would LOVE to win!
I love her desserts, they are amazing
I love Richa's recipes. They are all so full of flavor! I'm hooked on her slices of nacho cheese, but I made the pumpkin donuts recently - AMAZING!
I absolutely love Vegan Richa's Vegan Lentil Shepherd's Pie. It's amazing!
my fav recipe is the cinnamon yogurt parfait...absolutely delish!
love her first book and this is on my list! would love to win
Truth be told: all of Richa's recipes sound intriguing because of her creative use of spices [I'm still working on becoming more creative/intuitive in my own cooking there]. Of those you pictured, the Mac and Cheese is calling my name.
Ooooh :O how exciting!
Although I will say that that's probably one of THE hardest questions ever. So, let me think...
Alright, I think, if I absolutely had to choose, it would be her almond butter oatmeal breakfast cookies 😛
Have you got a favorite, Sophia ?
I would have to say that her pizza pull apart bread on her blog looks insane!! I see that one all the time and think, this needs to be made now!
Chickpea peanut butter cookie pie
I was actually looking at this book on Amazon the other day but couldn't justify buying it for myself because y'know, Christmas! The recipes all look incredible!