As I create the different “dessert oats” in my series of overnight oats, I definitely need some attention grabbers for my boys, and this one did the trick! This is their absolute favorite, they are always asking if we are having banana splits for breakfast…which sounds really funny when we are out and about and others hear it. Little do they know that this is the healthiest banana split my kids can get! They love the combination of fresh banana, a side of berries, nuts and hints of chocolate and maraschino cherry (can you guess how I get this flavor?). I would have to agree that this is my favorite so far…but there are more to come so we shall see! For now, I am enjoying this in our mix of overnight oats!
[recipe title= “Banana Split Overnight Oats” servings= “Makes 1 pint sized mason jar (16 oz)”]
Fresh bananas with a side of berries, topped with walnuts and chocolate chips and a touch of almond extract. Full of protein, naturally sweetened and a kid pleaser!
- 1 ripe banana mashed (about ½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh or thawed frozen berries (chopped or mashed)
- 2 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips (any non vegan chocolate chips work too)
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ cup raw shelled hemp seeds (I use the Hemp Hearts brand)
- ½ cup gluten free rolled oats (or regular rolled oats)
- 1- 1 ½ cups almond milk, depending on how runny you like your oats (or other milk of choice)
note: Instead of using the hemp seeds, you can sub more oats. You can also use the berries straight from the freezer but don’t expect them to mix well until the next morning. Add more chocolate chips for a sweeter taste.
Put all ingredients in a mason jar in the order listed. Close lid tightly and shake well. Store in the refrigerator until the next morning.
You can purchase my Overnight Oats Jar to use with this recipe as well!
Before eating, shake well again. Serve cold or warm, if serving warm take the lid off of the jar before warming in the microwave or pour the oats in a pot to warm on the stove. You can also add a little more milk when serving to give it a “soupier” feel. [/recipe]