This carrot cake overnight oats recipe is not only absolutely delicious, but it’s vegan, gluten-free and made with healthy whole food ingredients! It’s the perfect way to start your day.
I love it when I can get in a nutritious breakfast that actually tastes amazing. With an added bonus of prepping it the night before for a ready to go option making my mornings so easy!
It’s one of many oatmeal breakfasts that I like to make to start off the day, keeping the flavors ever changing keeps things from getting too boring!
How to Make Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
It’s so easy to prep this recipe the night before for an easy grab and go breakfast, but you can also enjoy it after only a couple hours of chill time.
And while it tastes like a dessert, it’s actually made from all whole food plant based ingredients making it a healthy choice!
Step by Step Instructions
- Add all ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Transfer to a jar or airtight container.
- Top and enjoy!
Add some toppings when you’re serving, or mix in a few extra fillings for added flavor, nutrition, and texture! If you add anything for crunch, make sure to stir in it just before serving. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Shredded carrots
- Coconut flakes
- Flax seeds
- Protein Powder
- Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- Avoid using quick cooking oats as it will result in a softer, less thick texture.
- The yogurt is optional but makes it extra creamy and delicious. Feel free to sub it with a creamy dairy free milk like canned coconut milk.
- Shred the carrots as thinly as possible for the best results.
- If you don’t like chia seeds you can simply leave them out.
- For a touch of sweetness, maple syrup is a great choice, but it is not necessary.
- Use more or less milk depending on how thick you want the end result to be.
- Skip the bowl and mix the oats directly in the container you’ll be storing and serving in! If you are using a tightly sealed jar you can also shake it up instead of stirring.
Make ahead and Storage Tips
- To prep ahead for the week you can make extra. If you are doing this it is easiest to combine everything in a mixing bowl and then transfer to the individual jars.
- Once mixed, seal in an airtight container.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, and up to 3-5 days.
- Note that the longer they are stored, the softer the texture will be.
- Wait to mix in any crunchy fillings until you are ready to enjoy.
With a spoon! Just kidding, but seriously oatmeal is a nutritious choice all on its own. You can boost the health factor by pairing it with other whole foods like in this recipe.
Nuts, fruit, seeds, veggies, and plant based yogurt and milk are excellent healthy options.
The possibilities are endless! Fresh fruit, chopped nuts, and dried fruit add wonderful taste and texture.
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes
Start your day off with filling and nutritious meals made with plant based ingredients:
- Peanut Butter Chia Pudding
- Gluten Free Banana Bread
- Vegan Omelet
- Gallo Pinto
- Vegan Egg Scramble
- Healthy Breakfast Tacos
Healthy Carrot Cake Overnight Oats Recipe
- ½ cup shredded carrots , shredded thinly
- ½ cup rolled oats , gluten-free if needed (see note)
- ¼ cup plain dairy free yogurt , see note
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds , can omit if you don’t like them
- 1-2 tablespoons sweetener of choice , I used maple syrup (optional for added sweetness)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 – ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- ½ – ¾ cup dairy free milk of choice , depending on how thick you like them (the creamier the milk the richer the flavor will be)
- Shredded carrots
- Coconut flakes
- Chopped nuts
- Add all ingredients into a bowl, jar or air tight container. Mix well, if using a jar you can put the lid on and shake it to combine.
- Transfer to a jar or airtight container if using a mixing like bowl.
- Allow to set in the fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Top with toppings of choice and enjoy!
- Don’t use quick cooking oats or the end result will be too soft and not as thick.
- You can omit the yogurt but it gives a creamier end result. You can also use a thick and creamy milk like coconut milk from the can to get the same creamy flavor.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.