It’s your favorite crisp protein packed ball in sandwich form! This falafel sandwich is easy to customize and super flavorful! Perfect for the whole family.
Who doesn’t love a good sandwich? Especially one that takes crispy baked falafel and tops them with all the amazing things!
This is such a versatile recipe, and one that’s easy to prep ahead. It’s family friendly and has the best flavor!
What is a falafel sandwich made of?
The basic building blocks of a falafel sandwich are:
- Something to put them in
Starting with a good falafel is key, these homemade baked falafel are amazing and easy to make!
When it comes to what to put the falafel in, there are so many options! Here are some ideas:
- Pita bread
- Sub sandwich bread
The toppings for a falafel sandwich are totally personal for flavor. But there are some that are more common that others. Here are some of our favorite ideas:
Tips to prep ahead
You can definitely prep this falafel sandwich ahead of time! The key is to keep the falafel in an airtight container until ready to use, then reheat in the oven to crisp them up again. Here is how I prep them:
- Two days before- make the sauce I am using.
- Day before- make the falafel and cut/chop all toppings. Bake them a few minutes less so they aren’t 100% done. You can also just make the falafel mixture and shape and bake day of.
- Day of- put falafel on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes at 300 until warmed and crisp.
Is a falafel sandwich healthy?
Heck yes! At least this one is. It’s full of protein, topped with veggies, and smothered in healthy fats from the sauce!
How to make a falafel sandwich
Here are the easy steps on making these awesome sandwiches:
- Bake your falafel .
- Fill it with all the toppings!
How to have a DIY falafel sandwich bar
This is a perfect family friendly meal idea! It gives control to the kids which will result in less whining! Here are my best tips:
- Decide the topping choices as a family, let everyone pick something then add in things you want them to try or at least be exposed to.
- Put each thing in it’s own bowl.
- Start with the bread/pita/etc then the falafel, then follow with all the topping options.
- Make it fun by giving names to the different combos!
Falafel Sandwich Recipe
- Red onion
- Make the falafel.
- Prep all your toppings of choice.
- Build the sandwiches by placing 3 falafel into each pita bread (or bread of choice).
- Top with about 2 tablespoons sauce.
- Add the other toppings and enjoy!
- The falafel makes 20 so you will have a few left over.
- Nutrition facts are for the falafel, pita and tzatziki only. They will change depending on how they are served.
- Make the sauce, falafel and toppings of choice.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.