Make this vegan pulled pork and put it into a sandwich in 30 minutes! It uses jackfruit crisped in a pan for a simple, easy incredible flavor.
This sandwich is a meal the entire family will love. It's healthy and can be topped in so many ways!
This post was originally published on March 15, 2021.
I like to make up a big batch of this jackfruit pulled pork to use for the week on a variety of dishes like vegan grilled cheese sandwiches, macro bowls, or even on baked potatoes!
This vegan pulled pork comes together quickly, making it an easy weeknight dinner for the family.
Just a handful of plant based ingredients is all you need to make this mouthwatering jackfruit pulled pork recipe! Here's what you'll need to gather:
- Barbecue sauce
How To Make Vegan Pulled Pork
I fed this recipe to friends who are meat eaters and they were floored at how incredible it was. They key to jackfruit texture is getting it nice and crispy in the pan.
The BBQ sauce caramelizes and finishes it off in the most amazing way! Here's what to do:
- Sauté onion and jackfruit with spices until the jackfruit is crisp on the edges. I use this same technique in my Vegan Birria Tacos.
- Stir in the barbecue sauce and cook until sticky.
- Add toppings.
What to Make with Pulled Pork
Our favorite way to serve this jackfruit pulled pork is in sandwich form. We like to use:
- Buns (gluten free if needed)
- Coleslaw or Vinegar slaw
- Extra barbecue sauce
- And of course a side of sweet potato fries!
You can also use this pulled jackfruit inside or on top of any of these plant based recipes:
- Baked potatoes
- Vegan poutine
- Vegan burger
- In a vegan quesadilla
- Loaded into a vegan grilled cheese
- In wraps or burritos
- On salads, try it on this street corn salad, or on a green salad with BBQ sauce and vegan ranch dressing
What to Serve with Pulled Pork Sandwiches
All of these plant based side dishes will pair perfectly with your vegan barbecue meal:
- Macaroni salad
- Baked beans
- Vegan mac and cheese
- Gluten free cornbread
- Onion rings
- Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Grilled Veggie Kabobs
- You can substitute the jackfruit with 2 pounds of shredded mushrooms, portobello or king oyster work best.
- Depending on how salty your BBQ sauce is, you may not need to add any extra salt. Wait until the end and salt to taste.
- Make this jackfruit pulled pork recipe oil free by substituting broth for oil when sautéing.
- You want the jackfruit to really crisp to get the right texture. If you stop sautéing too early it will be soft and mushy.
Make Ahead and Storage Tips
- Make an extra large batch then use as meal prep for the week to use in a few different recipe ideas listed above!
- Store the vegan pulled pork in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can also store it tightly sealed in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Defrost before reheating.
- Reheat on the stovetop for the best results, but a microwave works as well to save time.
Vegan pulled pork is often made from jackfruit or mushrooms due to their meaty texture. Occasionally carrots or lentils are used as well.
What doesn't? You can make it into sandwiches, salads, nachos, or baked potatoes. We like to serve with coleslaw, sweet potato fries, baked beans, and gluten free cornbread.
More Vegan BBQ Recipes
The tang of barbecue sauce is just so good, it makes you want to put it on more than just vegan pulled pork! These plant based recipes all have that sweet and savory flavor we all know and love:
- BBQ Cauliflower Bites Bowl
- Vegan BBQ Tempeh Sandwich
- Chickpea Sliders with Pineapple Slaw
- Black Bean BBQ Burger
- BBQ Tahini Power Bowl
Best Vegan Pulled Pork Sandwich
- 1 ½ cups chopped sweet or yellow onion
- Drizzle of your favorite oil to sauté , or broth if oil free
- 2 cans jackfruit , 14 ounce cans, rinsed and shredded (see note)
- 1 teaspoon paprika , can also use smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon sea salt , see note
- 1 cup barbecue sauce , homemade or store bought
- Buns of choice , gluten-free if needed
- Vinegar slaw
- Sweet potato fries
- Extra barbecue sauce
- Sauté onion and oil, or broth if oil free, until onion is soft. About 5minutes.
- Add the jackfruit, spices and salt and saute over medium high heat until browned and crisp on the edges. This takes between 10-15 minutes depending on your stove. You want it crisp to get the right texture. If you stop early it will be soft and mushy.
- Add the barbecue sauce and mix until reduced a bit and sticky.
- Remove from heat, and serve with slaw and fries for the ultimate result!
- You can also sub the jackfruit with shredded mushrooms. Portobello or king oyster work best. Use 2 pounds.
- The salt will depend on how much salt your barbecue sauce has. You may want to wait and add it at the end.
- Nutrition facts include my homemade BBQ sauce and using ¼ teaspoon of salt.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.
Nutrition and metric information should be considered an estimate.
These were the bomb!! so delicious I will definitely be making these again. I couldn’t find jackfruit in the can so bought some already in BBQ sauce and added more sauce and they turned out great.
So happy you liked them!
sorry just saw this now will be making this soon am vegan so this is perfect for me will be using both mushrooms and jackfruit perfect for my after office meals everyday will dm you if i make this and let you know how it goes Thanks Ramya
Looks delicious! I really need to try jackfruit in my recipes as well 🙂 I also love the sweet potato fries!
Thanks so much Kimberly!
This recipe is the bomb. Cant wait to try this out this weekend
Let me know what you think!