Fresh flavorful tacos that step out of the traditional box. These vegan roasted veggie tacos use non traditional ingredients for a flavor so amazing you’ll wonder why you ever ate anything different. The touch of citrus knocks them out of the park!
Tacos are life around here. We stuff them with anything and everything, and I am always on the hunt for new amazing combos. With summer and warmer weather, I crave fresh and light ingredients, so when I experimented with some out of the box veggies and found a combo so delicious even my kids shoveled them in, I just had to post.
The Simplicity of Roasted Veggies
You really don’t need fancy stuff to make good food. Real veggies taste incredible with just a simple salt, pepper and roast. Roasting can completely change or enhance the flavor of veggies. Case in point, fennel and radishes. Raw, they both have a sharp flavor not favored by many. Toss them in some salt and pepper, drizzle of broth or oil and throw them in the oven….you come out with this incredible taste and you won’t believe it’s the same veggie!
Roasting almost caramelizes things. One of my favorite veggies to roast and grab that caramelized flavor is sweet potatoes. Truth, I don’t really love sweet potatoes unless they are french fries, or roasted until crisp. I love the savory flavor that roasting gives them with that undertone of sweetness. They go perfect when paired with roasted fennel and radishes, and then throw in some tangy citrus salsa and OMG talk about taking food to the next level.
Texture is your friend
Another way to get incredible food without fancy techniques: texture. Having a variety of textures gives your mouth an experience. As my husband and I always say, we need the crispy with the soft.
When it comes to tacos, the best simple way to throw in a perfect crisp is cabbage. Super simple, cut it really thin and toss it into the taco as a base. Sometimes I like to flavor the cabbage with things, but since I serve these with my citrus cream sauce, there is absolute no need. You can toss the cabbage with the sauce if you prefer, but I just layer them together in the taco because who needs extra steps…
Putt together the perfect roasted veggie tacos with citrus salsa with ease!
The great thing about tacos is that you can make a bunch of fillings and eat them over a few days. These vegan roasted veggie tacos are no exception. Plus, if you’re feeling like mixing it up, ditch the tortilla and make it a bowl! Follow these steps to ensure taco perfection:
- Slice or chop fennel, radishes, sweet potato and green onions.
- Toss them with broth or oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast them at 400 F for 45 minutes.
- While they are cooking, make the citrus salsa and citrus cream sauce (it’s amazing how you can get two incredible toppings with this one recipe!) and prep cabbage and avocado.
- Serve tacos and prepare to be blown away.
Fresh flavorful tacos that step out of the traditional box. These vegan roasted veggie tacos use non traditional ingredients for a flavor so amazing you'll wonder why you ever ate anything different. The touch of citrus knocks them out of the park!
- Preheat oven to 400 F (205 C)
- Toss fennel, radishes, sweet potato and green onions with salt, pepper and a drizzle of broth or oil.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast them at 400 F for 45 minutes.
- While they are cooking, make citrus salsa and citrus cream sauce if they are not prepared. Prep cabbage and avocado.
- When the veggies are done, assemble tacos by putting cabbage at the bottom of the tortilla, then topping with roasted veggies, salsa, cream sauce and avocado. Devour.
- This recipe makes an average of 9 tacos but can make more or less depending on how much you fill them.
- Nutrition information includes all toppings, using ¼ cup shredded cabbage and a little less than ¼ of an avocado per taco.
Tips to prep ahead:
Make the citrus salsa and cream sauce. You can also roast the veggies and prep the cabbage for easy to throw together tacos the day of. The avocado should be sliced fresh so it doesn’t brown.