These vegan potato tacos are so delicious you won't be able to stop at just one! Perfect crispy texture, easy to make and super customizable!
This post was originally published on May 3, 2014.
I am a taco fanatic, especially those with texture. And these are one of my new top faves. I love that everyone can build their own, so dinner time is happy and easy!
Tacos really are one of the best family meals since everyone can tailor them to their liking. Potato tacos are a favorite in our house, they have the best flavor and crispy texture, and they're super filling!
These simple tacos have the best crispy filling made with:
- oil or broth
How to Make Potato Tacos
In order to make the filling for the tacos follow these few steps:
- Mix potatoes with coating ingredients.
- Then spread them out on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Next, bake until golden.
- Finally top with your favorite toppings and serve!
The great thing about these tacos is they go great with pretty much any toppings! I suggest the following:
Tips and tricks
For best crispy potato taco success, keep these tips in mind:
- Parboil the potatoes by boiling them then rinsing with cool water.
- Make sure to pat the potatoes dry before coating for the crispiest results.
- Russet potatoes have the best starch content and texture to make tacos with.
- You can make these ahead of time by cooking the potatoes and prepping the toppings. When it comes time to eat, reheat the potatoes in the oven and assemble the tacos!
- Add spice by adding chili, chipotle, or cayenne powder to the coating mixture.
- You can use your favorite tortilla, we like using corn tortillas since they're gluten free.
A potato taco is an excellent plant based alternative to traditional tacos. Potatoes make a great substitute for meat since they're so versatile. You can easily adjust the flavor to your liking, and the texture is perfect!
Tacos de papa are potato tacos, but usually fried! They're absolutely delicious but not quite as healthy as this version of potato tacos.
It depends what you like! But Taco Bell has a pretty popular version and they wrap up crispy potatoes in a flour tortilla, and top with cheese, chipotle sauce, and lettuce.
More Vegan Recipes
For more Mexican inspired vegan recipes, check these out!
- Ultimate Vegan Nachos
- Mexican Nacho Burger
- Coleslaw with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Vegan Queso Blanco
- Fiesta Pasta Salad
- Tequila Lime Chickpea Soup
Crispy Vegan Potato Tacos
- Preheat oven to 450 F/ 230 C
- Parboil the cubed potatoes. Put them in a pot and cover them with water. Add a pinch of salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. About 5-7 minutes.
- Uncover and cook at a rolling boil for 5 more minutes until slightly soft.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Dab dry with a paper towel and put into a bowl.
- Mix the cornstarch, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a bowl until combined. Add to the bowl with the potatoes.
- Drizzle on the oil or broth and mix well so they are covered.
- Spread out on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake covered for 30-35 minutes, until potatoes are golden and soft.
- Meanwhile prep any toppings you want.
- Serve with all your favorite toppings!
- Oil will help the coating stick better, but broth will work as well.
- You can also skip the crispy coated potatoes and use my breakfast potato recipe instead, but leave out the peppers and onion to make it plain potatoes.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.