This watermelon salad with feta and mint is so flavorful and a perfect summer treat! It’s healthy, easy to make and has a touch of optional spice.
This Summer salad is so refreshing and delicious. It has wholesome ingredients that blend together to make the perfect combo!
It’s a little sweet, little salty, a little zesty, and a little spicy! Such a great balance of flavors for hot Summer days. Whether it’s been a long hot day outside and you’re looking for a simple and cool dinner, or you’re headed off to a potluck and want something fresh to bring, this salad is what you need!
The following are the fresh and flavorful ingredients you need to make this watermelon salad:
- Vegan feta
- Mint leaves
- Red onion
- Jalapeño pepper
How to Make Watermelon Salad
This salad is simple to make in no time! Here are the easy steps:
- Place all salad ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix to combine and serve!
How to make the dressing
The dressing adds a nice hint of taste to the salad. If you like lots of dressing, double the recipe. The current amount is just enough to coat for flavor. Here’s what you need to make it:
- Lime juice
- Olive oil
- Maple syrup
- Salt (Optional)
- Pinch chipotle powder (Optional, leave out for no spice)
Simply mix all of the ingredients together, voilà!
Tips for cutting watermelon
You can totally buy pre-cut watermelon, but that gets expensive! Cutting the whole fruit can seem intimidating but I promise it’s not hard!
- Use a sharp knife to cut off both ends of the melon.
- Set the watermelon on a cutting board with one flat (cut) side down.
- Place the knife where the white rind meets the pink flesh and slide the knife down the length of the melon, staying as close to the rind as possible.
- Repeat until all of the rind is gone.
- From here you can cube or slice the watermelon with ease!
Summertime means cookouts, potlucks, and simply hot evenings at home. No matter the occasion, this Summer salad goes well served with any of these recipes:
- Vegan BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- Apple, Arugula, and Tempeh Sandwich
- Italian Vegetable Pasta Salad
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Lemon Kale Salad
- Apple Cider Vinegar Coleslaw
- Easy Mexican Street Corn Salad (Also uses the homemade feta!)
Tips and tricks
For the best watermelon salad ever, check out these helpful suggestions:
- Adjust the heat level by using more or less jalapeño. Omit it completely for zero spice.
- The arugula is optional but adds a great peppery flavor, plus nutrition! Add just before serving to avoid it getting soggy.
- Prep this ahead of time by cutting the watermelon, cucumber, onion, and jalapeño. Store them separately. Also, make up the dressing and homemade feta in advance. Once ready to serve, just toss everything together!
- As watermelon and cucumber sit they continue to release moisture. So, the longer it sits the more watery your salad will be. Try to serve within an hour of mixing.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days. Remember though, it will become less crisp and more watery as time goes on.
Anything! Serve with your favorite grilled foods, or other cold salads like pasta salad, potato salad, or corn salad.
The best cheese to pair with watermelon is feta for its salty taste and soft but firm texture. Thinly sliced Parmesan is another popular option.
Yes you can, although it’s best to serve within an hour of mixing. Instead, prepare all of the ingredients and dressing in advance, store separately, then mix just before serving for best results.
More Fruity Recipes
When it comes to the hot Summertime heat, there’s nothing like fresh, sweet fruit! Cool down with any of these recipes this Summer:
- Summer Fruit Salad
- Wine Slushies
- Passion Fruit Syrup
- Spinach Banana Smoothie
- Grilled Pineapple Jalapeño Margarita
- The Best Thick Smoothie Bowl
Watermelon Feta Mint Salad Recipe
- 3 ½ cup cubed watermelon
- 1 cup cubed cucumber
- ½ cup vegan feta
- ¼ cup sliced mint leaves
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 2 – 4 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper , seeds removed (adjust for preferred spice or remove for no spice)
- 1 – 2 cups arugula optional
- Place all salad ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix all dressing ingredients to combine.
- Add dressing to the bowl and mix well.
- Double the dressing if you like more, the current amount is just enough to coat for flavor.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.