Looking for a nutritious treat that will also keep your kids busy? These frozen chocolate covered bananas are easy to make, delicious and a perfect activity!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Dole. The opinions and text are all mine.
These frozen bananas are actually a recipe created by Dole called Dole Icicles and inspired by the movie Disney’s Frozen 2. So it’s a little extra special fun, especially for those of you that love the movie! I love themed food!
Chocolate Covered Bananas
I am all about enjoying food over here, and when I can enjoy it plus have the bonus of it having some nutritious qualities, I am all in! These frozen banana pops are just the cutest. They are perfect for every day or even a winter themed party.
What can I make with frozen bananas?
The great thing about bananas is that they have a delicious natural sweetness. You don’t need much to create them into a treat your kids will love. We love frozen bananas with chocolate, topped with just about anything.
Putting them on a stick and making them banana pops is not only fun, but makes them a lot easier to eat. Here are some other ways we like to enjoy frozen bananas:
- smoothies (like this vegan banana protein smoothie)
- milkshakes (like this peanut butter cup milkshake)
- ice cream
- bon bon type frozen dessert
- Sweeten frozen pies
- raw cheesecake
Is frozen banana good?
Yes! Frozen bananas blend up with a sweet creamy flavor and are such a great frozen treat. I also love their smooth consistency. Kids love them too! They are the perfect nutritious treat that tastes like dessert.
Tips for freezing bananas?
If you have bananas that are on their way to getting over ripe, it’s great to freeze them. This will give you an easy treat any time you need it, so many things you can do! I like to freeze mine in smaller pieces to make them easier to blend.
I cut them, put them in plastic freezer bags. Or you can layer them between sheets of parchment and store in an air tight container.
How to store frozen bananas
If you’re simply freezing plain bananas, refer to the info above. However if you are trying to store frozen chocolate covered bananas, I have a few extra tips:
- Allow them to freeze completely on a parchment covered cookie sheet.
- Once frozen, carefully peel them off the parchment, breaking off any chocolate that has pooled on the sides. Store them in single layers on top of pieces of parchment in an air tight container.
How to Make Chocolate Covered Bananas
These are the easiest healthy treat ever! Dole created this Dole Icicles recipe as inspiration from the movie Disney’s Frozen 2 and I think they are just adorable. They are perfect for a holiday or winter themed party. And can even be made at the party as an activity!
- Cut the bananas and put sticks through the bottom.
- Drizzle with white or dark chocolate. Coat with toppings.
- Freeze and enjoy!
My kids just loved these, both making and eating. If you want to get your littles started in the kitchen, these frozen chocolate covered bananas are a great first recipe! Here are more Frozen 2 inspired recipes from Dole that you can make with the kids.
What can you top frozen bananas with?
While the recipe here calls for shredded coconut and dried blueberries to match the icicle Disney’s Frozen 2 theme, there are so many ways you can customize them. Any of your favorite toppings will work. Here are some of our favorites:
- chopped nuts
- other dried fruit
- nut butters
- chocolate candies
- crushed cookies or graham crackers
- crushed pretzels
- chopped up candy (see my list of vegan candy)
How to keep these vegan
These frozen banana pops are so easy to keep as a vegan treat. All you need to do is make sure you are using vegan chocolate to drizzle over the top, and that whatever other toppings you add are vegan!
Other ways to make frozen bananas
If you don’t want to make these as bigger banana popsicles, you can also cut them into slices and make them that way. You would follow the same directions, putting the slices on parchment and then drizzling the chocolate and adding toppings.
After you freeze them, use a fork or butter knife to help you peel them off the parchment.
Easy Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas
- 4 bananas , peeled and halved crosswise (I used DOLE® bananas)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dried blueberries
- 3 tablespoons white or dark chocolate , or can do half and half (vegan and gluten free if needed)
- 8 cake pop or crafts sticks
- Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper. Insert sticks halfway into cut ends of bananas; place on prepared pan.
- Stir coconut and blueberries in a small bowl. Heat chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl in microwave oven on high 30 seconds or until melted, stirring every 10 seconds.
- Drizzle bananas with chocolate; sprinkle with coconut mixture. Freeze icicles at least 2 hours before serving.
- Nutrition info uses vegan semi sweet chocolate chips
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.