Sub tequila for the vodka in this new Bloody Mary drink to create a Bloody Maria that will leave you craving more! It’s made with fresh ingredients and tastes incredible!
I call this a meal in a glass because it’s satisfying and filled with veggies. While alcohol may not be considered healthy, everything else in here is so feel free to drink this tequila free!
I love a good tequila cocktail, my pineapple jalapeno margarita and passion fruit margarita are top on my list. But this Mexican Bloody Mary (sometimes referred to as a Spanish Bloody Mary) is slowly taking rank!
How to Make a Bloody Maria
Ditch the mix, because making your own Bloody Marys from scratch tastes so much better! Plus, by putting it together yourself you can adjust the flavor to fit your preferences.
I created this delicious bloody Maria recipe with my friend Juli over at Pure Kitchen Blog. Cocktails are always more fun with friends!
Here is what you will need to make this Bloody Maria recipe:
- Tomato juice
- Lemon juice
- Pickled jalapeño juice
- Jalapeño slices
- Celery seed
- Lime juice
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
Step by Step Instructions
It’s so easy to make this cocktail recipe! Here’s what to do:
- Mix all of the ingredients with a spoon.
- Muddle the jalapeño slices and let it rest.
- Garnish and enjoy!
Dress up your Bloody Maria cocktail with a number of garnishes! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Salt Rim
- Tajin rim
- Green olives
- Pickled jalapeños
- Fresh jalapeño
- Pickle spears
- Vegan bacon
- Adjust the spice level to your preference by adding more or less jalapeños, jalapeño juice, and tabasco.
- Depending on how salty your other ingredients are you may or may not need to add salt. Taste before mixing it in.
- To keep this recipe vegan, make sure the Worcestershire you use is made with all plant based ingredients.
- For the best flavor, allow the mixed drink to set in the fridge for about 30 minutes before pouring over ice.
- If you don’t like the thicker texture you can also strain it through a mesh strainer.
The traditional booze found in Bloody Marys is vodka. However, there are now variations with tequila, gin, rum, and bourbon.
This history of the Bloody Mary is a bit muddled (see what I did there?!), with a variety of version of how this popular cocktail came to be. Some say it was named after Queen Mary of England and her bloody reign, others believe it received its namesake from a cabaret dancer. Whatever the origin, I think we can all call them delicious!
It can be! While alcohol itself isn’t exactly healthy, the other ingredients in this Bloody Mary with tequila recipe are all pretty healthy! Skip the store bought mixes, as they could be filled with sodium, and make your own to ensure you’re using the best ingredients.
More Cocktail Recipes
If you like this Bloody Maria drink, here are more libations to try next:
- Spicy Pineapple Jalapeño Margarita
- Easy Passion Fruit Margarita
- Wine Slushies
- Peach Grapefruit Basil Cocktail
- Strawberry Thyme Vodka Spritzer
Tequila Bloody Mary (Bloody Maria)
- 1 cup tomato juice
- ¼ cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire , make sure it’s a vegan variety to keep this fully vegan
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno juice
- 8 pickled jalapeno slices , or 4 if your jalapenos are spicy
- 3 ½ teaspoons horseradish
- 1 ½ teaspoons celery seed
- ½ teaspoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon tabasco
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ sea salt , optional if needed
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt or tajin rim
- Green olives
- Pickled jalapenos
- Fresh jalapeno
- Pickle spears
- Vegan bacon
- Add everything to a large glass measuring cup, or container of choice and mix with a spoon.
- Using a muddler (or end of a thick spoon or ice cream scooper if you don’t have one), muddle the jalapeno slices until fully mashed. Mix again.
- Allow to set in fridge for about 30 minutes for the best flavor. You can also strain through a mesh strainer if you prefer a smoother drink.
- Fill double old fashioned glasses with ice and pour mix in. Add garnish of choice!
- Adjust spice level to your preference.
- You may not need salt if you prefer a lower salt option as some of the ingredients have salt.
- This makes 3 drinks using double old fashioned glasses filled with ice. It will make 2 with taller glasses.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.