I’m taking ice cream cake to the next level with these easy to make ice cream cupcakes! They are not only vegan, but even the most Pinterest-fail mom can do it!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of So Delicious Dairy Free. The opinions and text are all mine.
The possibilities are endless with this recipe. So many flavor combos, so little time. Isn’t it amazing when you can please all of your people?
Ice Cream Cupcakes
I have always loved ice cream cake, but the thought of making it is a little overwhelming for me, I’m more of a Pinterest-fail kinda mom. So when I thought of the idea to make vegan ice cream cake a little more user friendly, and create some dairy-free ice cream cupcakes, I knew I had to try it!
There are only a few basics you need in order to make ice cream cupcakes:
- an easy cupcake recipe (or use store bought for super easy!)
- your favorite ice cream (I love the brand So Delicious Dairy Free!)
- creativity to mix and match all the flavors!
Different flavor combos for the best vegan ice cream cupcakes:
Let’s start with our base, cupcakes. You can always buy them to take the super easy route, but I have three amazingly easy vegan cupcake recipes that are ready in about 30 minutes. They are all vegan and gluten free, and the flavor and texture beat any store bought brand!
The next thing you need is amazing ice cream. So Delicious Dairy Free is my go-to. Not only do they have ALL OF THE FLAVORS but they offer a variety of bases so that you can satisfy all of your needs.
The only bad part is that there are so many options, you want to buy them all! So I did….oops. Here is an overview of all the dairy-free ice cream I currently have living in my freezer (and my belly):
- Caramel Apple Crumble Oatmilk Frozen Dessert
- Chocolate Chip Frozen Mousse
- Cranberry Cherry Swirl Frozen Mousse
- Snickerdoodle Cashewmilk Frozen Dessert
- Bananas Foster Cashewmilk Frozen Dessert
- Cookie Dough Coconutmilk Frozen Dessert
- Mocha Almond Fudge Almondmilk Frozen Dessert
If you want to see the full line of flavors, click here! They are so good and have so many options. It makes creating these ice cream cupcakes so easy! Plus the texture and creaminess are absolutely perfect for this recipe.
Can I make ice cream cupcakes ahead of time?
Yes! In fact you need to so that they can freeze a bit. Simply bake the cupcakes (unless you are buying them) and allow them to cool completely. You cannot have them warm at all or the structure will not be stable and the ice cream will melt and make the cupcake mushy.
Once these are made, you need to put them in the freezer to set. Take them out of the freezer about 10 minutes before you are ready to eat them if you are storing on the counter and about 20 minutes before if you are putting them in the fridge.
How do you store ice cream cupcakes?
Ice cream cupcakes need to be stored in the freezer so that the ice cream doesn’t melt. In order to keep the texture of the cake from drying out or getting freezer burn, follow these tips:
- Wrap the cupcakes in plastic wrap. Make sure to have every surface covered.
- It is best to frost them before serving for the freshest and prettiest results. If you want to freeze them with frosting on them, then store in an airtight container since wrapping the frosting in plastic wrap will ruin the look.
- Once they are wrapped in plastic, store in an airtight container.
How long to ice cream cupcakes last?
You should store them in the freezer like described above. They will last up to 7 days but the sooner you eat then the better they will taste.
How to Make Ice Cream Cupcakes
This is really a lot easier than it seems! You need to start with an easy cupcake recipe, like one of the ones I linked above, or if you really want to go the easy route just buy them. Once you have that handled, it’s smooth sailing!
- Cut a hole in the top of the cupcake, but not all the way through.
- Remove some of the cupcake filling and save to use for another treat (see below).
- Stuff the ice cream inside!
- Put the top back on and frost. No one will ever know!
You could also make them by layering the cupcakes and ice cream. Simply cut out the center section of the cupcakes and add ice cream like this:
How can I use the extra cupcake filling?
Make ice cream cake balls of course! Here is how to do that in a few easy steps:
- Mix the cupcake filling and ice cream in a bowl.
- Shape into small balls, wrap in plastic and freeze!
What kind of liners should I use?
Any cupcake liner will work, however many of the paper ones tent to stick. I prefer to use the foil liners because they do not stick like the paper ones do.
Also foil liners don’t trap in the moisture like paper does. If you use paper the end result will be a little more wet.
Tips for decorating ice cream cupcakes
I like to mix things up and use a variety of toppings. Here are some of my favorite:
- Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- Homemade vegan whipped cream– this is perfect piped on top like frosting!
- Shaved chocolate (just use your favorite chocolate bar and a grater)
- Vegan caramel drizzle
Tips for getting the kids involved
Kids love helping in the kitchen! It can also be a huge pain though, trust me I know. So here are some of my favorite ways I got the boys involved with making these ice cream cupcakes:
- They helped me mix and match the cupcake flavors with the ice cream.
- Let them take the extra cupcake filling off of what I cut out.
- They crumbled the extra filling into a bowl and then mixed it with the ice cream to make our bonus ice cream cake balls.
- They shaped the ice cream cake balls with the plastic wrap.
- They scooped the ice cream into the cupcake centers and put the tops back on.
- I let them frost a few and of course sprinkle shaved chocolate or sprinkles on top.
Vegan Ice Cream Cupcakes
- Cut a circle in the top of the cupcake. Then cut down like you are cutting a cylinder.
- Carefully remove the cut area, scooping out the cupcake but not all the way down to the bottom.
- Cut off some of the cupcake filling from the top and save it in a bowl to use for a bonus treat (see below). Set the top on the side so you can put it back on.
- Put about 2 tablespoons of ice cream into the hole in your cupcake. Smooth down.
- Put the top of the cupcake back on.
- It is best to freeze the cupcakes at this point so they can get firm as your ice cream will begin to get soft as you make these. To freeze wrap tightly in plastic wrap and put them in an airtight container. Freezer for about 30-60 minutes if you want to eat them that day.
- Take them out of the freezer and top with frosting. No one will ever know there is a hole!
- If you want to frost them and store them frosted then simply frost right after you make them and store them in the freezer in an airtight container.
Making the ice cream cake balls bonus treat:
- Take the extra cupcake filling and mix it with equal amount of ice cream in a bowl.
- Shape the mixture into small balls, then wrap each of them in plastic wrap and freeze! You could also put them on a candy or popsicle stick.
- Once you are ready to eat them, let them defrost for a minute or two and enjoy!
- You can make or buy cupcakes. If you make them make sure they are cooled completely before turning them into ice cream cupcakes.
- Nutrition facts will vary depending on the cupcake recipe you use, the ice cream you use, and the toppings.
- The nutrition facts here use my vanilla cupcakes recipe plus the So Delicious Dairy Free Creamy Chocolate Cashewmilk Frozen Dessert. They do not include toppings.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.