These vegan breakfast tacos are the perfect way to start your day. They are super versatile, delicious, full of protein and family friendly!
I love tacos! So when I get a chance to have them for breakfast I am always in. These are perfect for the entire family because everyone can make them their own, so you’re feeding all types of eaters with one meal.
Whether you prep the fillings ahead of time for a fun weekday breakfast, or serve them as part of a brunch spread on the weekend, these tacos will be a crowd pleaser. Get creative and switch up the toppings to keep it interesting week to week!
The ingredients needed to make these breakfast tacos are incredibly versatile. You can use anything you want but here are just some options to get you started:
- Crumbled tofu or vegan egg
- Portobello bacon recipe
- Black beans
- Lentil walnut taco meat
- Taco sized tortillas
How to Make Vegan Breakfast Tacos
Once the fillings are prepped, get to making the tacos. Here’s what you need to do:
- Fill warm tortillas with the egg mixture, beans and taco meat.
- Garnish with toppings and enjoy!
Add more flavor by loading these breakfast tacos with your favorite toppings. I recommend the following:
- Shredded cabbage
- Red onion
- Spicy cilantro cream sauce
- Hot sauce
- Shredded cheese or cheese sauce
Tips and tricks
Here are a few more suggestions to get you going:
- Warm the tortillas before filling so they don’t break.
- You can quickly warm them by wrapping in a damp paper towel and heating in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. Keep heating in 15 second increments to get them soft and pliable.
- Add in extra veggies like bell peppers, onions, spinach, etc.
- Use taco sized tortillas. To keep them healthier use corn, and find gluten-free if needed.
- Prepare the bacon, egg, beans, taco meat, and toppings in advance to save time in the morning. Store separately in the fridge until ready to serve.
Amazing! But seriously, they are a combination of plant based ingredients loaded into a tortilla. Get creative!
Anything made from plant based foods that gives you a balance of nutrition to keep you full throughout the day. See below for more ideas.
Anything you want really. Egg substitute, beans, salsa, vegan taco meat, soyrizo, and guacamole are all good options.
You can make the separate ingredients in advance. When ready to serve, warm the tortillas, load them up and enjoy!
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes
Keep your mornings interesting by mixing it up with these plant based recipes:
- Breakfast Burrito
- Healthy Vegan Breakfast Cookies
- Vegan Yogurt
- Savory Spinach Oatmeal
- Homemade Granola Bars
- Spinach Banana Smoothie
Healthy Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- 1 cup crumbled tofu or vegan egg , see note (or use regular egg if you don’t need it vegan)
- 1 cup portobello bacon recipe , chopped into smaller pieces (or use other bacon recipe you prefer)
- Sea salt , to taste (if needed)
- 1 cup black beans , homemade or store bought
- 1 cup lentil walnut taco meat , or any other taco meat you prefer (see note)
- 8 taco sized tortillas , gluten-free if needed
- Cook the crumbled tofu or vegan egg over medium heat. When almost done, add the bacon and mix in. Put into a bowl and set aside.
- If you want the cabbage wilted a little, add to the pan and saute with broth or oil until just wilted. You can also use it cold, but this is a good option too.
- Warm the tortillas by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and heating in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. Keep heating in 15 second increments to get them soft and pliable.
- Fill with ingredients of choice, we used 2 tablespoons of the egg mixture, beans and taco meat per taco. Then topped with all the fixings.
- If making my portobello bacon recipe make the whole thing.
- You can adapt these to be whatever you prefer with the toppings and main ingredients.
- Nutrition facts use my base recipe without toppings. They will change depending on what you add.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.