This vegan burrito bowl recipe is inspired by Chipotle but cheaper and healthier because you make it at home. The perfect meal prep!
We love build your own meals around here, because they are obviously delicious, but they also cut down on all the dinner tantrums!
The flavors at Chipotle are amazing, but you’re limited to their serving sizes, and everything good is “extra”. Well, if you make your own burrito bowls at home you are in full control!
The following ingredients are simply guidelines, feel free to adjust to fit your needs and preferences:
- Shredded lettuce
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Vegan Carnitas
- Black beans
- Fajita veggies
- Corn salad
- Fresh salsa
How to Make Vegan Burrito Bowls
These seriously could not be more easy to make! Here’s what to do:
- Start with a base of lettuce, rice, vegan carnitas.
- Load it up with all the toppings and dig in!
In addition to loading these burrito bowls with the fillings and toppings above, we also like to mix things up with the following:
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese or cheese sauce
- Hot sauce
- Mexican Rice
- Pinto Beans
- Lentil Walnut Taco Meat
- Jackfruit Taco Meat
Tips and tricks
The following suggestions should come in handy when making your own homemade burrito bowls:
- Use a large, shallow bowl so you get a little bit of everything in every bite!
- Set up all of the toppings buffet style and let each person make their own.
- Prepare this meal in advance by making the rice, beans, vegan carnitas, fajita veggies, salsa, corn salad, and vegan sour cream. Store them separately until you’re ready to heat and serve.
- You can also meal prep by portioning out all of the warm fillings in a microwave safe container, and the toppings in another one. Then all you have to do is warm it up and throw on the toppings!
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
- Cooked rice and beans can be frozen in a freezer safe airtight container for up to 3 months.
It depend what you put in it, but they certainly can be! Stick to wholesome fillings and toppings as suggested in this recipe to keep it on the healthier side.
They sure do! Chipotle offers fajita veggies and sofritas as plant based burrito bowl options.
Again, it comes down to what is going in the burrito or bowl. Burrito bowls do avoid tortillas, which makes them slightly healthier.
Anything you want! Load them up with fiber, protein, and veggies. Popular fillings and toppings include rice, beans, salsa, guacamole, peppers and onions, and lettuce.
Chipotle offers a build your own bowl style, but generally they include rice, beans, protein of choice, corn salsa, and salsa.
More Vegan Bowl Recipes
Bowl recipes are SO easy, especially since everyone can load them up with the fillings of their choice. Here are some of our plant based favorites:
- Vegan Sushi Bowl
- Taco Bowl
- Healthy Buddha Bowl
- BBQ Cauliflower Bites Bowl
- Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Bowl
Vegan Burrito Bowl (Chipotle Inspired)
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups Cilantro Lime Rice , or use any rice you prefer
- 2 cups Vegan Carnitas , or any other taco meat you prefer (see note)
- 1 cup black beans , homemade or store bought
- 1 cup fajita veggies
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup corn salad , or use plain corn or corn salsa
- 1 cup fresh salsa , or any salsa you prefer
- Build the burrito bowls by putting the ¾ cup lettuce, ½ cup rice, and ½ cup carnitas, ¼ cup beans and ¼ cup fajita veggies at the bottom of each bowl.3 cups shredded lettuce, 2 cups Cilantro Lime Rice, 2 cups Vegan Carnitas, 1 cup black beans, 1 cup fajita veggies
- Top with ¼ cup guacamole, ¼ cup corn salad, and ¼ cup salsa. Add any other garnishes you prefer!1 cup guacamole, 1 cup corn salad, 1 cup fresh salsa, Sour cream, Jalapeno
- My carnitas makes about 2 cups so use the entire recipe.
- You can adapt these to be whatever you prefer with the toppings and main ingredients.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.