Get the taste of Chipotle in a homemade healthy and delicious vegan burrito bowl! This easy meal is packed with protein, fiber, and fresh veggies.
This easy-to-make plant-based recipe is perfect for a quick and satisfying meal at home. Plus you will save money and it's easy to prep ahead!
This post was originally published on September 2, 2021.
We love build your own meals around here, because they are obviously delicious, but they also cut down on all the dinner tantrums. Flavors like my macro bowl and taco bowl are big hits, so I know I needed more!
The flavors in the Chipotle veggie burrito bowl are amazing, but you're limited to their serving sizes, and everything good is "extra". Well, if you make your own burrito bowls at home you are in full control!
The following ingredients are simply guidelines, feel free to adjust to fit your needs and preferences:
- Shredded lettuce
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Vegan Carnitas
- Black beans
- Fajita veggies
- Corn salad
- Fresh salsa
How to Make Vegan Burrito Bowls
This version of the Chipotle veggie bowl seriously could not be more easy to make! Hot tip: use a large, shallow bowl so you get a little bit of everything in every bite!
Here's what to do:
- Start with a base of lettuce, rice, vegan carnitas.
- Load it up with all the toppings and dig in!
Set up all of the toppings buffet style and let each person make their own custom creations!
In addition to loading these veggie burrito bowls with the fillings and toppings above, we also like to mix things up with the following:
- Sour cream
- Vegan cheese sauce or dairy free shredded cheese to keep the bowls vegan.
- Homemade Vegan Queso Fresco
- If you only need a vegetarian chipotle bowl you can use your favorite dairy cheese if you prefer.
- Hot sauce
- Mexican Rice
- Pinto Beans
- Lentil Walnut Taco Meat
- Vegan Chorizo
- Jackfruit Taco Meat
- You can also add your favorite meat based protein for those who want it!
What to Serve With Veggie Burrito Bowls
Even though these are a full meal all on their own, it doesn't hurt to serve with a couple other snacks (and drinks!) for a family dinner.
Meal Prep and Storage Tips
- Prepare the vegan burrito bowls in advance by making the rice, beans, vegan carnitas, fajita veggies, salsa, corn salad, and vegan sour cream.
- Store them separately until you're ready to heat and serve.
- You can also meal prep individual bowls:
- Portion out all of the warm fillings in a microwave safe container.
- Place the toppings in another one.
- When ready to serve, warm it up and throw on the toppings!
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
- Cooked rice and beans can be frozen in a freezer safe airtight container for up to 3 months.
It depends what you put in it, but they certainly can be! Stick to wholesome fillings and toppings as suggested in this vegan burrito bowl recipe to keep it on the healthier side.
They sure do! Chipotle offers fajita veggies and sofritas as plant based burrito bowl options.
Again, it comes down to what is going in the burrito or bowl. Burrito bowls do avoid tortillas, which makes them slightly healthier.
Anything you want! Load them up with fiber, protein, and veggies. Popular fillings and toppings include rice, beans, salsa, guacamole, peppers and onions, and lettuce.
Chipotle offers a build your own bowl style, but generally they include rice, beans, protein of choice, corn salsa, and salsa.
Vegan Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Fajita Veggies (Chipotle Copycat)
- Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice (Copycat Recipe)
- Cheesy Vegan Quesadilla with Fajita Veggies
- Easy Vegan Chorizo Recipe (Gluten Free)
Chipotle Inspired Veggie Burrito Bowl (Vegan)
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups Cilantro Lime Rice , or use any rice you prefer
- 2 cups Vegan Carnitas , or any other taco meat you prefer (see note)
- 1 cup black beans , homemade or store bought
- 1 cup fajita veggies
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup corn salad , or use plain corn or corn salsa
- 1 cup fresh salsa , or any salsa you prefer
To Serve (optional):
- Build the burrito bowls by putting the ¾ cup lettuce, ½ cup rice, and ½ cup carnitas, ¼ cup beans and ¼ cup fajita veggies at the bottom of each bowl.3 cups shredded lettuce, 2 cups Cilantro Lime Rice, 2 cups Vegan Carnitas, 1 cup black beans, 1 cup fajita veggies
- Top with ¼ cup guacamole, ¼ cup corn salad, and ¼ cup salsa. Add any other garnishes you prefer!1 cup guacamole, 1 cup corn salad, 1 cup fresh salsa, Sour cream, Jalapeno
- My carnitas makes about 2 cups so use the entire recipe.
- You can adapt these to be whatever you prefer with the toppings and main ingredients.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.
Nutrition and metric information should be considered an estimate.
I am going to save so much money! These taste amazing and were so easy to make, no more extra for guac!