These vegan carrot dogs are a great way to satisfy your hot dog cravings with whole foods. Easy to make, and perfect for the whole family!
While we love a hot dog now and again, sometimes we want to satisfy the craving with plants and whole foods! This carrot dog idea is a perfect solution. It truly hits the spot without the processed meat alternatives.
You can even use them to make recipes like homemade corn dogs and pigs in a blanket!
How to Make Carrot Hot Dogs
While you need to plan ahead so you can get your carrot dogs to marinate for the flavor oomph, these really aren't hard to make and use simple ingredients you can find at most grocery stores.
- Veggie broth
- Tamari , or soy sauce if not gluten-free
- Apple cider vinegar
- Maple syrup
- Liquid smoke
- Celery seed
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Sea salt, if needed
Step by Step Instructions
This carrot dogs recipe is easy to make with just a few simple steps. Here's what you need to do:
- Peel and shape the carrots.
- Boil and marinate.
- Grill, pan cook or even bake until browned.
How to Serve Vegan Carrot Dogs
Load the carrot hot dogs onto buns (gluten-free if needed) with all your favorite toppings, make corn dogs, or cut them up into bite sized pieces and serve with dips. Here are some of our favorite options:
- Cheese sauce
- Coconut Bacon
- Homemade Vegan Ranch
- BBQ Sauce
- Pickled Onions
- Chopped onion
- Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Full sized carrots are best, but you can make mini dogs with baby carrots.
- If you want to shape them into more of a hot dog shape use the vegetable peeler to do so.
- Make this recipe oil free by leaving out the oil.
- A minimum marinating time of 30 minutes is recommended, but the longer they sit the more flavor they will have. Overnight is best.
- Depending on what broth and Tamari or soy sauce you use you may need more or less salt, adjust to taste.
- Make these ahead of time by boiling and marinating. Refrigerate the marinated carrots for up to 3 days before browning.
- Rotate the vegan hot dogs while cooking in a skillet over medium high heat so that they brown on all sides.
- You can also BBQ them on a grill for about 5-7 minutes until charred on all sides. Baste them with the marinade as they cook for the most flavor.
- Roasting in the oven is another option. Skip the boiling step place them in a foil covered baking dish along with the marinade. Bake at 400°F for about 20 minutes, then uncover and bake until tender.
How to Store and Reheat Carrot Dogs
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can also freeze them, however the texture may change a bit once defrosted. Seal them in an airtight freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
- Reheat in a skillet, an air fryer, or in the microwave.
Carrots are marinated in a mixture including veggie broth, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, liquid smoke, and seasonings.
You can cook carrot dogs either in a pan on the stovetop, in the oven, or on a grill.
They can be, but the texture may change once defrosted. Store in a freezer safe airtight container for up to 3 months.
There are many store bought options for plant based hot dogs. However, making your own carrot hot dogs is easy to do with simple ingredients, and they are so good!
More Vegan Kid Friendly Recipes
Keep the whole family happy with these healthy plant based recipes:
- Gluten-Free Vegan Sausage
- Vegan White Mac and Cheese
- Easy Lentil Veggie Burger
- Creamy Corn Chowder
- Healthy Vegan Hamburger Helper
- Refried Bean Burrito
Vegan Carrot Dogs Recipe
- 6 full size carrots
- Drizzle of your favorite oil , optional (skip if oil free)
- 1 cup veggie broth , low sodium if needed
- ¼ cup Tamari , or soy sauce if not gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ sea salt , optional (see note)
- Pickled Onions
- Chopped onion
- Cheese sauce
- Cut the ends off of the carrots and shape into hot dog like shapes using your vegetable peeler if preferred for aesthetics.
- Boil the carrots for about 10 minutes until you stick a fork in them and it goes in but still has some give. I put the carrots in water over medium high heat (before the water was boiling) and it took 10 minutes total.
- While boiling, mix all marinade ingredients in a deep dish or plastic Ziploc bag.
- When carrots are done boiling, run them under cold water then add them to the marinade. Marinate for at least 30 minutes but overnight is best for optimum flavor.
- Cook the carrot dogs on a pan over medium high heat until browning on the outside, about 3-5 minutes. Make sure to move them around so they char on all sides.
- You can also BBQ them on a grill, about 5-7 minutes until charred on all sides. I like to baste them with the marinade as they cook.
- You can also roast them in the oven at 400F/205C. For this option you can skip boiling them and simply put them in the oven with marinade in a foil covered baking dish. Bake for about 20 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 10 until you put a fork in them and they still have some give.
- Top with what you prefer and enjoy!
- Adjust the amount of salt based on your taste. You may need more or less depending on what broth and Tamari/soy sauce you use.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.
Nutrition and metric information should be considered an estimate.
I was really surprised how good they tasted. Carrots have a great texture, soft and crunchy at the same time. Easy to make, delicious. And so versatile in the preparation and the choice for f toppings.
I am so happy you liked them Fabienne!!
The flavor is so perfect! Loved them in the classic way, but can't wait to try them with more flavor combos!