This vegan coconut bacon recipe is not only so easy to make, but it can be used in so many ways! Only 8 ingredients and 10 minutes to done!
This is a cookbook review written by me on behalf of Jackie Sobon, for which I received a free copy of the book. All the opinions and text are my own.
I love it when flavors you would never expect come together into something amazing. This sandwich was a home run way to use the coconut bacon!
This coconut bacon is super simply to make with only 8 ingredients!
- coconut flakes
- maple syrup
- liquid smoke
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika
- black pepper
How to Make Coconut Bacon
This bacon is so easy and I love how different this sandwich is. I mean, I can only eat PB&J for so long people. This fancy feeling treat is just what I need!
- Mix coconut bacon ingredients in a bowl.
- Spread on parchment and bake. This takes a total of 10 minutes.
- Use it any way you want, like this unique and delicious BLT!
This amazing recipe comes from a book from a fabulous friend, Jackie Sobon of Vegan Yack Attack. Her newest masterpiece, Vegan Yack Attack On The Go, is her second book and just as incredible as the first.
Jackie is super talented, with a taste for putting together ingredients like you’ve never seen. Smoky bacon like flavor with sweet peaches, is the ultimate combo you never knew you needed
If you love coconut bacon on this sandwich, you’ll also love incorporating it in these recipes:
- Vegetable Pasta Salad
- Healthy Vegan Baked Beans
- BLTA the Vegan Way
- Grilled Romaine Caesar Salad
- Gluten Free Scalloped Potatoes
Tips and tricks
- You can sub the vegan mayo on the sandwich for another sauce. I tried this using a little of my citrus cream sauce instead and it was incredible!
- If you’re not using right away, store in a tightly sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- You can also freeze it for up to 3 months!
- Let refrigerated or frozen coconut bacon reach room temperature before you use it.
- I’ve found that unsweetened coconut flakes create the best texture for this vegan bacon recipe, as opposed to shredded or fresh coconut.
- Make sure you bake until the coconut bacon begins to turn amber brown, that way you know it will have the perfect crunch!
They’re all so good! But in my opinion homemade coconut bacon like this recipe, or mushroom bacon are my favorite go tos.
There are many varieties of vegetarian bacon, this version uses coconut. You can also make a bacon alternative with mushrooms, tempeh, or tofu.
It tastes salty and smoky, the perfect elements from traditional bacon!
With any smoky and salty alternative made from coconut, mushrooms, tempeh, or tofu.
More Sandwich Recipes
Whether it’s a picnic lunch or a busy weeknight, sandwiches are always a crowd pleaser! These easy to make plant based recipes are great to have on hand:
- Falafel Sandwich
- Vegan Meatball Sub
- Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Apple, Arugula, and Smoky Tempeh Sandwich
- Healthy Vegan Gyros
Vegan Coconut Bacon Recipe
For the sandwich:
- 8 slices sourdough bread , or use gluten free if necessary
- 5 tablespoons vegan mayo , soy free if necessary
- 8 leaves green leaf lettuce
- 8 slices large tomato
- 1 cup sliced peaches
- ¾ cup Coconut Bacon (see recipe above)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Make coconut bacon:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C, or gas mark 4), and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, place the coconut flakes, maple syrup, liquid smoke, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Toss the mixture until everything is evenly coated
- Spread it out in a single layer over the parchment paper.
- Bake for 5 minutes, stir the bacon around, and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the coconut bacon is amber brown. If not using right away, store in a tightly sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Let it reach room temperature once you take it out to use it.
To make the sandwich:
- Lay out the 8 pieces of bread, and spread roughly 2 teaspoons (9 g) of vegan mayo on one side of each slice.
- Layer 2 leaves of lettuce, 2 slices of tomato, ¼ cup (40 g) peach slices, 3 tablespoons (4 g) Coconut Bacon, and a pinch of black pepper on 4 of the slices.
- Then top with the remaining slices of bread.
- Serve, or wrap up for your lunch box!
- You can sub the vegan mayo for another sauce (I tried this using a little of my citrus cream sauce instead and it was incredible)
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.