An easy one pot cavatelli and broccoli recipe the whole family will love. It uses a handful of whole food ingredients and gets in those healthy veggies!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Earthbound Farm Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.
It’s not easy finding a meal your kids will love, but also has the flavor an adult looks for. This awesome one pot pasta satisfies both needs! Throw it together in minutes and let dinner be stress free.
Cavatelli with Broccoli
My kids are huge broccoli fans, so when it comes to easy dinners I know they will eat I try and incorporate that veggie where I can. This easy pasta recipe made in only one pot has been on our menu for a while now, so I needed to share it with you all!
What kind of pasta is cavatelli?
We love different shaped pastas so when we find something fun, we like to try it out! Cavatelli is almost like a long skinny shell shaped pasta. It is small so easy for kids to eat!
What can I substitute for cavatelli pasta?
Sometimes it may be hard to find cavatelli due to your location, so having an easy substitute is important. Depending on what you are making, you really can use any shape pasta you prefer.
Like bowties? Go for it! But if you’re looking for something similar in size or shape, here are my best recommendations:
- Small shells or Conchigliette
- Rotini or fusilli
How to choose broccoli
When it comes to broccoli, I’m sure many of you have experienced the “lovely” smell it can give off when it’s not good. It has happened on more than one occasion and I can totally see why kids may not like it.
Luckily for us, I learned from my mistakes and I am now a bit of a broccoli snob. I know make sure that what I bring home fits in most of these categories:
- Bright green, not yellow
- The stalk is firm
- The florets are nice and tight
- It feels on the heavier side versus light and airy
- Organic when possible
One of my favorite produce brands is Earthbound Farm Organic. I have visited their farm first hand, check out my farm visit in this vegan coconut curry soup post, and I was beyond impressed at both the process in which they farm, all I learned about organic farming and the incredible flavor of the produce (I may or may not have eaten spinach right off the plant).
So of course, their broccoli is in my basket any time I see it at the store! It’s so fresh and delicious my kids will eat it right off the stalk…which is awesome except when I need it for a recipe and then it’s gone.
I know I can always count on Earthbound to give me produce that won’t go bad in days, goodbye broccoli smell, and have incredible flavor which is so important in simple recipes like these! Plus they are a certified B Corp, which is the highest standard you can get in produce!
Tips for adding protein
Since I like to make sure most of my recipes include a little bit of everything you need for an all in one meal, adding some protein to this will help make this a one and done dinner. There are multiple ways you can do that:
- Use the optional store bought vegan sausage.
- Use my whole foods based homemade vegan sausage crumbles.
- Add my vegan Parmesan, it’s made from nuts!
- Add any kind of bean you like.
How to Make Cavatelli and Broccoli in One Pot
I love the ease of this recipe, and how you can time it all just right to leave yourself with less to wash! Here are the steps that will make this meal in no time:
- Cook the pasta and the broccoli in one pot.
- Use the same pot to make the saucy coating.
- Mix everything together.
If you’re a spice lover like me, make sure to add in those crushed red pepper flakes! Gives such a great flavor!
Cavatelli and Broccoli (One Pot)
- 8 ounces cavatelli pasta , or other pasta of choice (gluten free if needed)
- 4 cups 12 ounces broccoli , cut into pieces
- 4 cloves garlic , chopped
- Drizzle of olive oil or broth for sautéing
- 1 cup veggie broth , low sodium if needed
- ¼ cup white wine , or broth if you don’t use wine
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice , add more if more tang
- ½ teaspoon sea salt , leave out or adjust if you use sausage
- 3 tablespoons brown rice flour , or regular flour if you don’t need gluten free
- 2 links Vegan sausage , crumbled (optional)
- ½ cup Grateable Vegan Parmesan , optional
- 1-2 teaspoon red pepper flakes , optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions, except stop it when there is two minutes less than the package says.
- Add the broccoli and bring to a boil, checking along the way for doneness of both pasta and broccoli. We like ours al dente. Broccoli will be a vibrant green when ready.
- Drain all into a pasta strainer.
- In the same pot, add the garlic with the drizzle of oil or broth. Sauté over medium low heat until fragrant.
- Add in the broth, wine, lemon, salt, and flour. Whisk well.
- Allow to reduce and thicken.
- Once thick, add in the pasta with broccoli and mix well. Add in the sausage, Parmesan and/or crushed red pepper if using.
- The amount of time you cook the pasta will vary depending on what pasta you use, if you like your broccoli more cooked then add it in sooner.
- Nutrition facts does not include the optional ingredients.
- Chop broccoli.
- Remove crushed red pepper so it isn’t spicy, cut broccoli into small pieces and cook it all on the longer side so it is more cooked.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.