This vegan French toast is hands down incredible. It’s healthy, easy to make, goes well with many toppings and will be devoured by the entire family!
I think I saw my husbands eyes roll back in his head when he first tried this recipe. He says it’s JUST like the amazing one he had in Hawaii and has always wanted to go back for, and now he doesn’t have to go! Shoot, I should have waited…
The big challenge of making French toast without eggs is getting a batter to give you the same result. You want it on the thicker side and able to coat the bread for that crisp outside and softer middle.
To get that, here is what I used for the mix:
- Dairy free milk
- Ground flax seed
- Almond flour
- Maple syrup
- Sea salt
This makes the perfect bread dip and cooks up amazing!
The perfect bread
The other part of the vegan french toast puzzle, is the bread. You want a bread that will give you that softer texture, nothing too firm.
I suggest using a loaf and not precut sandwich bread as it’s usually cut too thin. Cutting the bread on the thicker side helps with the end texture.
If you need to be gluten-free, choose a softer gluten-free bread to get the same result.
How to Make Vegan French Toast from Scratch
This recipe is very similar to a traditional one, just with different ingredients. Here is what you do:
- Mix the dip by whisking all ingredients together.
- Cut the bread.
- Dip in the mixture, leave it in for 5-10 seconds. You don’t want it too long or it will absorb too much and get soggy.
- Cook on a pan.
- Serve with topping options!
The best thing about French toast is all the things you can put on it! Here are some of our favorites:
- Maple syrup
- Fruit compote (try this blackberry compote recipe)
- Chocolate chips
- Homemade Nutella
- Vegan Granola
- Easy vegan caramel sauce
- Whipped cream (try this homemade vegan coco whip)
Here are some other breakfast recipes you can serve this vegan french toast with to make a big breakfast feast!
- Protein Coffee Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Spinach Protein Smoothie
- Vegan Gluten Free Apple Cinnamon Scones
- Vegan Breakfast Burritos
- Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes
- Bagels and cream cheese
- Fruit salad
- Hash Browns
- Breakfast Potatoes
It’s simply French toast that uses an alternative to the eggs and milk to make it.
Because vegan French toast doesn’t use eggs, it won’t cook up like regular French toast does. So you want to soak it just enough to absorb the liquid, but not so long it gets soggy. If your bread is soft, about 5 seconds, if it’s on the drier side then closer to 10.
I cook it at a medium heat so the outside doesn’t burn before the inside cooks.
You want to make sure you aren’t soaking it too long. Also, you want to cook it on medium heat to allow the inside to cook as well. If the heat is too high then the outside will get burned before the inside cooks.
The Best Vegan French Toast Recipe
- 9 thick slices of your favorite bread , gluten-free if needed (see note)
- Whisk all the mix ingredients in a shallow bowl until combined well.
- Make sure your pan is nice and hot. Once hot, turn down to medium heat.
- Dip each piece of bread into the mix and allow to soak for about 5-10 seconds. You want them soaked but not too soft and falling apart. If you prefer less soft French toast, then only dip for a second or two.
- Put on a hot pan, and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until browning and crisp.
- Serve with toppings of choice!
- For the best French toast you want a thick softer fluffy bread. Loaves you can cut work best.
- This makes 9 pieces, serving size is for one piece.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.