Whenever I thought of pesto, I thought oily, fatty, made me feel yucky kind of sauce. This all changed when my mom created a “healthy” pesto. She makes all different kinds, basil, spinach, red pepper…uses way less oil than the average and just a dab of parmesan cheese. This recipe was created using hers as a base but I took out the cheese to make it fully vegan, used a mix of all the awesome greens I want my kids to eat (spinach, kale, swiss chard-hence SKS) and gave the option of no oil. Both my boys devour this, in fact the little one has been known to scoop it up and eat it with his tiny hand. It’s a winner! I put it in everything from lasagna, to pasta, and even bake veggies in it.
This pesto is filled with veggies and taste. Add it to your favorite recipes or serve it on top of pasta for a one dish delicious meal!
- 3 cups baby spinach/kale/swiss chard (or whatever mix of these 3 you desire)
- 1 cup fresh basil
- Your favorite oil for using in sauces to taste (optional)
- Himalayan pink salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 cup walnuts
- Water or veggie broth to bring to desired consistency
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until well mixed, adding water or veggie broth to bring the pesto to desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings to desired taste.