These delicious and healthy sushi seaweed snacks are bite sized treats perfect for sushi lovers of all ages. So easy to make and customize!
Have fun letting kids put them together themselves. Add a mix and match assortment of fillings to get them excited for creating healthy treats!
This post was sponsored by GimMe Organics but the content and opinions expressed are fully my own.
This post was originally published on August 22, 2018.
Vegan sushi is so easy to make at home and a great healthy meal or snack. Using seaweed snacks instead of larger sheets makes it easier and more fun!
We love filling these sushi snacks with all kinds of ingredients, but these are our favorite go tos:
- Seaweed snacks
- Cooked rice
- Mayo - use vegan mayo to keep this recipe plant based
- Spicy cilantro cream
- Carrot stick
- Celery stick
This recipe uses the awesome seaweed snacks to create roll ups you can fill with whatever stuff you love. (Let the kids fill their own, kids that make their own snacks, eat their own snacks!)
Making real sushi rolls can be challenging with larger sheets of seaweed, but I found that using the smaller sized nori snacks make the perfect bite size rolls.
GimMe seaweed chips have an amazing crunch and are made with healthy ingredients so they are a perfect choice!
How to Make Sushi Seaweed Snacks
This recipe comes together in minutes once the fillings are prepared. Here's what to do:
- Soften the seaweed snack sheets between damp paper towels.
- Mash the chickpeas and divide into two separate bowls.
- Mix the mayo into one bowl, and the spicy cilantro sauce into the other.
- Add the fillings on top of the sheets of seaweed being careful not to overfill.
- Roll the seaweed snack around the fillings.
Customize this seaweed snack recipe to create a variety of flavors, either to serve all together or to switch it up every time you make them.
- Make “crunchy” seaweed snacks.
- Crush up chips and place them in a bowl or plate.
- Use a spoon or your finger to coat the outside of the roll in some sauce.
- Slowly roll the sauce covered sushi snack around in the bowl of crushed chips to coat the outside with a crunchy exterior!
- Use more sauces!
- Try anything in your fridge: hummus, creamy sriracha sauce, soy sauce, salsa, guacamole, and more!
- Try a variety of rice. Sticky white rice is my favorite, but brown rice works too.
- Switch up the veggies. Add mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, bell pepper, etc.
What to Serve With Sushi Snacks
This seaweed snack recipe may have snack in the name, but they can also be served as part of a larger meal. Try them with:
Sushi Seaweed Snacks Recipe
- 2 small packages seaweed snacks , any flavor
- 1 cup cooked rice , sticky white works best but brown can work too
- 1 cup chickpeas , about ½ can, divided
- 1-3 tablespoons vegan mayo , or other sauce (depending on how saucy you want it)
- 1-3 tablespoons spicy cilantro cream , or other sauce (depending on how saucy you want it)
- 1-3 extra tablespoons sauce , to coat some rolls and/or dip rolls into when eating (either one from above will do)
- ½ avocado , sliced into thin slices
- ½ carrot stick , sliced into matchstick sized pieces
- ½ celery stick , sliced into matchstick sized pieces
- ½ cucumber , sliced into matchstick sized pieces
- ¼ cup shredded lettuce
- ½ cup crushed chips , optional for added crunch
- Place seaweed snacks in between two slightly wet paper towels and allow to soften for at least 5-7 minutes. Make sure they aren’t too wet or the seaweed snacks will get too soft to work with.
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork, then divide them into two separate bowls.
- Mix in the two sauces, one in each bowl. You can use as many or few sauces as you want, just don’t forget to divide the mashed chickpeas appropriately.
- Take one seaweed snack out of the paper towel, lay onto a flat surface and add fillings of choice. Do not overfill.
- Then roll the seaweed snack around the fillings, it should easily stick together in a tight roll, just don’t overfill. Mix and match filling ingredients to create a variety of rolls.
- Crush the chips if using and on a plate or shallow bowl.
- If you want to make some of the rolls “crunchy,” take a few of the assembled rolls and using a spoon or your finger coat the outside of the roll in sauce. Then slowly roll it around in the bowl of crushed chips to coat the outside with a crunchy exterior!
- These rolls are totally customizable, you can add more or less of each ingredient to make rolls of your choice, and you can also add other ingredients.
- Any kind of rice and beans will work, as will sauce of choice. Even just mixing in your favorite mayo or hummus/dip will work. As the recipe is here, it makes 18 rolls with ingredients equally divided throughout.
- Prepare different filling ingredients.
- This is a perfect kid food starting from an older baby or toddler and up. Allow kids to build their own rolls and get creative!
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.