This twist on a traditional Mexican favorite with a sweet and smoky hint in every bite. Sweet potato tacos topped with Cilantro Lime Sauce.
Lentil tacos have been a staple in my vegan cooking from the beginning. With fall here, I wanted to add a little twist to this traditional meal, so I turned to my newest favorite spice, smoked paprika!
Just as it did in my butternut squash soup, the smoked paprika brought out just enough sweetness in the sweet potatoes but still managed to give me the savory taste I liked. I used purple sweet potatoes here since I found them at our local health food store and wanted to give them a try. They are fabulous! But any sweet potato will work.
Same goes with the corn, any corn type works well but I liked the frozen roasted corn from Trader Joe’s. If you aren’t fully vegan and want to stick to what you know, I added an option to use greek yogurt instead of silken tofu for the cilantro lime sauce.
Add Hot Sauce…Just Because
I also gave an option for tortillas, I tried both the corn and the sprouted wheat. I think I liked the corn better for this taco. Being a hot sauce addict, I wanted to test out which hot sauce went best with this particular taco, so I topped each one off with a different sauce: Tapatio, Sriracha, Trader Joe’s jalapeño pepper hot sauce, and Frank’s buffalo wing sauce.
The winner was Tapatio! Funny because it isn’t usually my go to hot sauce, but it just worked here. Try out different options on your tacos and let me know what you liked best!
More Vegan Tacos You Might Like;
- Roasted Veggie Tacos with Citrus Salsa
- Crispy Cauliflower and Potato Tacos with Tangy Cream Sauce
- Rainbow Tacos with Tangy Mango Dressing
- Beer-Marinated Portobello Mushroom Tacos
Lentil and Sweet Potato Tacos with Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 2 cups precooked lentils
- 2 cups chopped sweet potatoes
- veggie broth for roasting/sautéing , low sodium if needed (or use your favorite cooking oil if you use oil)
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- Himalayan pink salt cumin and smoked paprika to taste
Toppings: as much as you desire of each
- corn frozen or fresh
- shredded cabbage
- hot sauce optional for spice
Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked overnight if not using a high speed blender, or you can use 1 package silken tofu for nut free version
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- juice of 1 lime about 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- corn or sprouted wheat tortillas
- Prepare sweet potatoes and chopped green onions by either pan sautéing over medium heat or roasting on a parchment lined baking sheet at 400°F (200°C) with broth (or oil), salt and smoked paprika.
- Once soft, remove from heat. Put lentils in a bowl and warm slightly in microwave. Add cooked sweet potatoes and mix well. Add cumin, and more salt and smoked paprika to taste. Set aside.
- Prepare your toppings by warming up corn, dicing avocado and cleaning shredded cabbage. Warm up tortillas.
- Make sauce by putting all ingredients in a food processor, blender or high speed blender and blending until smooth.
- Assemble your tacos by putting a few spoonfuls of filling on a tortilla, then adding toppings and drizzling sauce over the top. Enjoy
- Tips to prep ahead: Soak cashews if needed. Cook sweet potatoes, green onions and lentils. Make sauce.
- Baby/kid food idea: Puree cooked sweet potatoes and lentils, and even some avocado. Can drizzle some sauce on it too. For older baby serve filling with avocado and a drizzle of sauce.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.