Asparagus fries coated in seasonings and protein packed almond meal, then baked to perfection. A perfect side or stand alone snack!
The last couple of weeks I have been getting some awesome local asparagus at the natural market I shop at. We have been using it roasted in pasta, chopped in quinoa salads and in veggie wraps. While trying to figure out other ways to enjoy this fresh veggie, I was hit by inspiration while at happy hour with some girlfriends a few weeks back.
We went to an adorable little cafe in downtown San Diego and on the menu was a trio of veggie “fries,” avocado, portabella and eggplant. They were all delicious! So home I went to try the concept with my asparagus! To avoid the actual “frying” process, I decided to bake and use almond meal as my coating.
These Asparagus Fries Were A Big Hit!
I added some spices and seasonings and they turned out fabulous! The key to crispiness was to use the really skinny asparagus spears and coat them well with the almond meal mix. The boys loved dipping them in ketchup! I served them along side my BBQ Tempeh Sandwich and they complimented it great!
Why These Asparagus Fries Are So Great;
- No egg – these fries are completely vegan
- They’re healthy – perfect for kids and a great alternative to regular fries
- They’re fun! – These fries are fun and easy to make, serve with a dipping sauce and a vegan burger
- Easy to adapt – choose your favorite herbs and spices to change up the seasoning
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Wash and cut asparagus in half.
- Put asparagus in a deep bowl and sprinkle with oil (if using), salt, pepper, paprika and maple syrup. Mix to coat.
- Place almond meal and nutritional yeast (if using) in another bowl or dish and mix. One by one, put asparagus in bowl of almond meal and toss to coat well.
- Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with your favorite dip.