These vegan recipes for kids will make meals a breeze! Easy, flavorful and full of wholesome ingredients. There is something for every meal!
Meal times can be a disaster, especially when it comes to picky kid palates. This collections of kid friendly plant-based recipes should keep you going without tears!
Feeding Kids Vegan and Plant-Based Meals
Getting our kids to eat anything can be a challenge, let alone having to think about diet preferences and nutritional needs!
While I am not a doctor, dietician, or nutritionist, I do know it’s important for kids to have well rounded meals. The basics I always think about are: fat, protein, fiber, carbs and loads of fruits and veggies!
Sneaking in veggies
We all know the challenge of getting the littles to eat veggies. It can be safe to say it drives me to drink. But there are things you can do to help!
- Always offer veggies they like (let’s hope there is at least one!) along with new ones.
- Don’t force a child to eat anything, not only does this paid a negative emotion to the food but it creates a fight for control.
- It can take kids at least 10-15 times with a positive exposure to a new food before they will even try it, and even longer to establish whether they like it or not! So patience is KEY.
- Keep emotion out of food. You don’t want to overly celebrate or have negativity when it comes to eating.
- Let your child help you shop and choose new things to try.
- Dips are a great way to try new veggies! If they have a dip they love have it as part of the meal to encourage them to try the new veggie.
- Use food as art! Allow them to make picture and create then eat their creaiton.
I am a full advocate for serving your kids veggies in their actual form, but since many of ours aren’t as adventurous we still want to make sure they are getting in their daily dose.
This is when I sneak in extra! Here are some of my favorite ways:
- Pasta sauces
- Baked goods
- Ice cream (yep)
The Best Vegan Recipes Your Kids Will Love
Here is a list of my kid’s favorite recipes on my site! Some are made as is, and some we alter to make them even more kid friendly.
Vegan Breakfast Recipes
- Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes: These are quick and easy and made with wholesome ingredients! You can try subbing sweet potato or pumpkin puree for the apple sauce to get in an extra dose of veggies. Sub in pureed spinach for a colorful twist too!
- Vegan Blueberry Pancakes: These are another delicious way to change up the plain pancake routine.
- Vegan Breakfast Cookies: The kids won’t know they are actually getting in a healthy dose of nutrients when they see cookies to start their day!
- Vegan Greek Yogurt: This is a great recipe to cut down the sugar in many store bought yogurts.
- Homemade Oatmeal: Use this as a vehicle for healthy toppings!
Vegan Lunch Recipes
When it comes to lunch, I prefer quick and easy ideas you can throw together in little time.
This vegan lunch guide for kids is a perfect place to get loads of ideas in one place!
Vegan Snack Recipes
- Vegan Pinwheels: I love this because kids can make their own giving them control and allowing them to pick what they want. This greatly increases the chance they will eat it.
- Amazing Fruit Salad: This is a great way to introduce new fruits paired with those they love.
- Brownie Batter Protein Bites: This is such an easy recipe and a great protein based grab and go snack.
- Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips: These are simple and easy to make. It avoids the excess oil in store bought chips.
- Immune Boosting Smoothie: This smoothie is a great way to sneak in some extra veggies! Kids can even choose the base ingredients and you can throw in the sneaky extras when they aren’t looking.
- Fresh Pineapple Salsa: This sweet and tangy salsa is loved by kids since it’s fruit based and can leave out the extra spice.
Vegan Dinner Recipes
- Vegan Taquitos: These are such a great way to get in veggies since they are pureed in with the filling.
- Bean, Rice and Avocado Burritos: This recipe is super fast and easy to make and customizable. You can even mix cauliflower rice with the regular rice and they will never know!
- Spaghetti and Marinara: This marinara is a great way to puree in veggies without any hint of added flavor!
- Vegan Mac and Cheese: This cheese sauce is full of veggies but you wouldn’t know it!
- Creamy Tomato Soup: This tomato soup is really flavorful and has veggies pureed in. It’s also a great dipper for grilled cheese and quesadillas!
- Lentil Sloppy Joes: This kid friendly sandwich is loaded with protein and iron. A perfect wholesome meal.
- Vegan Veggie Burger: We love these burgers and always have them on hand. The veggies get pureed in and you can freeze them for easy meals.
- One Pot Broccoli and Pasta: This is a fast and delicious recipe for those broccoli lovers!
- Vegetable Pasta Fagioli: This is a huge kid and adult favorite. Simple to make and SO good.
- Vegan Tacos: Use crunchy shells for a take out experience or soft for those who prefer it. We love all the flavor and texture of this lentil and walnut based meaty filling.
Vegan Side Recipes
- Asparagus Fries: These crispy french fry option is a great way to get your kids to try a new less common veggie.
- Eggplant Fries: These are loved even by eggplant haters because the texture bakes up really well!
- Oven Fries: This healthier french fry option is a great pair to any sandwich or burger!
- Macaroni Salad: This healthy version of traditional deli macaroni salad is so good, you’d have no idea it’s full of whole foods.
- Broccoli Cauliflower Tots: These are loved by kids on their own or as a dipper! A great dose of veggies too.
- Mexican Black Beans: We make these beans in batches and use them in so many ways throughout the week! A great addition to component meals.
Vegan Dessert Recipes
Serve up these tasty treats along with an ice cold glass of vegan chocolate milk!
- The Best Soft Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies: These cookies are super easy and use easy to find whole food ingredients.
- Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream (with a dose of protein): You will be shocked at how this is made and how delicious it is!
- Vegan Chickpea Blondies: These are not only decadent but also filled with healthy protein.
- Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies: These are a healthy amazing treat that comes together quickly.
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies: We love the incredible flavor and chewy texture of these cookies made with all whole foods.
- Vegan Pina Colada Popsicles: This frozen treat can be mixed up to puree in some veggies. It will add color and a dose of nutrients!
You should always consult a doctor before making any dietary changes, but there are many children out there that eat a vegan diet safely.
Yes, if you are interested in raising your child vegan you need to cut all animal based products out of your lifestyle. This includes food and things such as leather and wool. But you should consult a doctor before making any changes to your diet!
Each child has different taste preferences, but in general starting with foods naturally vegan is a good idea. All produce, like fruits and veggies, are great for kids. So many things you already eat are naturally vegan. The recipes listed here are a great list!